I love the local library and shouts out to The Athens County Public Library in Athens, Ohio. And sometimes, if you have time to peruse the shelves, you can find a great collection of cookbooks. Now all of you top chefs and Le Cordon Bleu educated experts, please don’t beat me up. I’m by no means saying that the library could ever replace formal culinary training. What I am saying is that 1) If you can’t always afford to buy some of the many cookbooks out on the market by some of your favorite chefs, 2) if you have a library with a fabulous cookbook selection like I do, , and 3) If you want to “try” before you buy with some of the recipes and experiment at home without a huge investment, then it’s a win-win situation for everyone.
Here are a few of the books (some old, some new), I picked up at the library this week and I hope to post a review of each of these soon:
The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas (I’m exploring Vegetarian cooking more so this should be a fun read)
Food Trucks: Dispatches From The Best Kitchens On Wheels by Heather Shouse ( I love the Food Truck show and I like living dangerously and trying different foods from food trucks when I can so I can’t wait to peruse this one).
The New American Plate Cookbook by The American Institute for Cancer Research (This one from a research organization should be interesting).
The Oprah Magazine Cookbook (Introduction by Oprah Winfrey) (Well, it’s Oprah so you know it’s going to be spectacular…we’ll see).
Flavor by Rocco Disprito (Well, Rocco is just hot so I can’t wait to dig into this one….the cover alone. What’s that recipe? LOL)
How To Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout(Food Network Kitchens) (I got this just for kicks cause I know how to boil water!)
Atkins Low-Carb Cookbook by Veronica Atkins (I’m exploring the Atkins Diet, really just for the routine and the recipes)
- Digital Cookbooks – The QOOQ Culinary Tablet is Sleek (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- the cook(book)ing school: book review – a cookbook for people with new year’s cooking resolutions (cookbookingschool.wordpress.com)
- the cook(book)ing school: from Ebony.com, Kitchen Cabinet Essentials: Whip Up a Fabulous Meal on a Moment’s Notice – Life – EBONY (cookbookingschool.wordpress.com)
- cook(book)ing school: from zakka life, Caramel Bacon Popcorn Recipe (cookbookingschool.wordpress.com)
- NY Food Truck Lunch: Lasagna Bolognese From Now Eat This! (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Cookbooks used to be for cooking. Now they are for looking. (boston.com)
- I Was a Cookbook Ghostwriter (nytimes.com)
- the cook(book)ing school: book review – A Real Cookbook Aimed at Real People (cookbookingschool.wordpress.com)
- We Love Cookbooks! (abeautifulmess.typepad.com)
- T Magazine: Ravenous | A New Cookbook (tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com)